Skip to content

Hip Replacement

Also known as THR, Total Hip Replacement

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

THR - Useful Resources

Below are links to various resources for THR patients. If anyone has suggestions for other useful resources let me know but please do so by contacting me and not replying in this thread. Any links for inclusion will have to be from non-commercial reputable sites. Patient leaflet on Hip Replacement:...

Last reply
  • Thigh pain after hip replacement

I'm wanting some feedback on high thigh pain after a hip replacement.  I am 68 years old (female) and am 10 weeks post op cement hip replacement due to severe arthritis.  I have been going on very well and thought all my troubles were over, but have now developed pain which seems to be...

Last reply
  • Superpath Hip Replacement 3 weeks post op

hello everyone im nervous about posting on here as I never in my life thought I'd be on a forum for patients so in some ways it is good I've learnt some humility as always thought I was indestructible as I've always been very sporty playing a lot of tennis, football, rugby and cycling  as...

Last reply
  • I am really worried about my hip

I had THR 8 months ago.  I was really doing well.  Last week I was making my bed and I felt something in my hip. It didn’t hurt but just a funny feeling.  I took it easy most of the day and that night we went out for dinner and to Walmart. It really felt good to walk. But hip still felt...

Last reply
  • Walking with one crutchone c

I had a THR on my left hip 11 days ago. Had a resurfacing on th right hip 10 years ago. I’m 70 but pretty fit apart from the hip. i used 2 crutches when first discharged from hospital but quickly found it okay on one. I’m doing my exercises and also trying to walk a short distance outside each day....

Last reply
  • Positions in YOGA

I am 18 months post op and want to go to a yoga session.  I dislocated my hip 4 months ago and wondered if I would have difficulty with any of the positions.  I have difficulty lowering myself to the floor and getting back up.  I can do it slowly, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks...

Last reply
  • Serious Pain 3 Months After Anterior THR

I’m a 63 year old male with avascular necrosis bilaterally.  With left hip being the worst I had a total hip replacement done 12 weeks ago today. My pain levels seemed normal until about 5 days ago when pain increased in intensity and appeared in several locations, worsening daily. Today pain is...

Last reply
  • Chronic pain following total hip replacement

Hi, I'm Sue and I had both hips replaced in Feb and Sept 2011. Prior to this I had many years of pain and a great deal of difficulty with medical fields trying to determine what was causing my pain. Anyway once it was decided to replace both hips I was happy they had at last found a cause and...

Last reply
  • tiredness after hip opp

Hi  All, I wonder if anyone else has experienced extreme tiredness? I sleep for around 12 hours and I'm still tired, I have no energy at all, on the plus side my hip is doing good, I can walk without a stick, but my right hip is now giving me the same pain as the left did prior to the opp, I'm...

Last reply
  • Going to start using Negative Pressure Wound Therapy System today

A home health care nurse was supposed to be here this morning but since she's sick, another person will be here later today. A little anxious about the set up of the device (Avance Flex) and how the dressing will be applied. Not exactly looking forward to that, but realize using the system/machine...

Last reply
  • Pain during pregnancy

Hi, I have seen a few discussions regarding pregnancy after a THR. I had my THR 2 years ago now and currently 28 weeks pregnant. Everything has been going fine, my hip really has been amazing and i have ensured i have looked after it whilst being pregnant. This is my 3rd pregnancy and having a planned...

Last reply
  • Constant ache

I'm 10 weeks post posterior LTHR and I believe that I'm progressing well. I can get about without crutches, I'm in no pain and I'm taking no medication. BUT, I have this constant ache/soreness in the hip, right behind the ball and socket area. Is this normal at this stage and if so, how...

Last reply
  • Pain from cerclage tension wires???

LTH anterior approach April 2016 Revision to retention cup July 2016 Revision posterior approach to longer femoral stem Feb 2017 Now 1 year out with wirh horrible pain down side of femur. Have 4 cerclage tension wires around my femur that was fractured at revision in 2017. Was told that these wires wouldn't...

Last reply
  • 10 weeks after anterior THR

I am 10 weeks out from my anterior THR and I feel like a new woman.  I have my life back.  I am biking and swimming without pain.  The doc will probably clear me to tango in two months.  I am working 12 hour shifts as a staff nurse with only mild soreness and aching, no sharp pains. ...

Last reply
  • I’ve been in so much pain for the last 5 days

Hi not sure what I did.  But it happened when I was making my bed. I’m 8 months post op having a thr and I did something.  I’m really worried. Dr said X-rays looked good and blood work good. Waiting on bone scan results from today. I could walk or sit or even go to bathroom. The first 2 days....

Last reply
  • Leg crossing......... the good leg

ok someone tell me if I can cross my good leg?  I understand why I can’t do my hip replacement leg but I’m craving to cross my good leg.  I’m 16 days out of my surgery and feeling pretty good.  I have looked for responses about good vs bad but nothing.  I certainly don’t want to do...

Last reply
  • High blood pressure & scheduled hip replacement

Help, I'm getting nervous now.  I'm scheduled for a long waited hip replacement & I have high blood pressure. I'm concerned that my surgery may not go ahead.  I'm currently on medication for this but it won't go down.  The surgery is scheduled for 6 days time. Help????

Last reply
  • upper thigh 6 myths post total hip replacement

I am in extreme pain in my upper thigh after 6 myths of surgery. It is high in my femur area. This is something new and the last couple of days..having difficulty walking. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why and or what I should do? Your feedback would be very much appreciated. 

Last reply
  • Incision not healing so procedure will be done

Section of surgical incision from my left anterior THR has not healed like other sections have. Doctor is going to clean it out and close it again. He called me this afternoon to ask how I was and then decided it would be good to get the procedure done tomorrow morning after another surgery he has scheduled....

Last reply
  • The truth

I always thought that I haven't been told t he truth about my diagnosis, I had a left hip replacement and bone graft in July 2016. Now I have been told by my GP that i had hip dysplasia, and this is why I needed a replacement. As I work for a college in Cardiff they paid for me to see my consultant...

Last reply
  • Allergic reaction causing loosening of implant?

I had my left hip replaced with the posterior approach in Sept 2017.  Since that time I've had some fairly mild pain, mostly in the thigh muscle.  It hasn't caused me to lose mobility, until the past month or so.  One thing that has changed is that I got a dog in mid-November,...

Last reply
  • Hip Replacement 5 weeks

I am 5 weeks post op.  I had my right hip replaced and am 51 years old.  I still have to walk with a cane.  When I walk without I am very lop sided.  I have been told this is normal.  I feel I do well at therapy and have been told I am progressing.  They haven't started...

Last reply
  • Excrutiating pain after total ceramic hip replacement

I had a ceramic total hip replacement 6weeks ago and I'm in agony. I'm 40 yeats old and had avascular necrosis of the rigjt hip.I had a titanium disc replacement 6 years ago in my lower back so I was aware going into surgery it would not be easy. However, when the epidural wore off after the...

Last reply
  • Still need rest in the afternoon

Hi. I am 3 months into left the and most things are progressing well. I start the day energised do lots of things but about 3 or4 in the afternoon it is like a plug has been pulled on energy nag I end up going to bed and sleeping for an hour. Getting concerned about breaking this habit. Any comments...

Last reply
  • Anyone had a staph infection in hip prosthesis?

I initially had a BHR and suffered severe metallosis so the implant had to be removed. Extensive damage had been caused by this and revision surgery was carried out. However, I now have a staph infection in my revised hip so now need yet another two operations, one to remove the hip and for six months...

Last reply
  • Help...Can hardware/wire cause pain a year out?

LTHR..resulted in fracture of femur. Have 4 tension wires. I have almost constant pain on the outside of my thigh bone. I have 2 walk 30 minutes every day per orthopedic surgeon and cardiologist instruction. Please.....has anyone experienced anything like this??? Would removal help eventho I was told...

Last reply
  • Hip replacement ongoing nightmare

Hi folks, I’m a newbie to this forum and would like to share my experience. It will be three years this July since I had my left hip replaced at The Royal Orthopaedic in Birmingham. The consultant who replaced my right hip (two years previous) agreed to replace my left as it was in a bad way. When I...

Last reply
  • hip replacement

Has any tried Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator (TENS) for muscle and nerve pain after hip replacement surgery?  It stimulates the muscle and nerves through electrical pads pasted on the skin.  If so does it work? 

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

counter