Skip to content

Hip Replacement

Also known as THR, Total Hip Replacement

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

THR - Useful Resources

Below are links to various resources for THR patients. If anyone has suggestions for other useful resources let me know but please do so by contacting me and not replying in this thread. Any links for inclusion will have to be from non-commercial reputable sites. Patient leaflet on Hip Replacement:...

Last reply
  • Sitting on the Floor

Has anyone tried to or sat on the floor? On wednesday it will be week ten since my thr, up to now I can only comb my dog on top and sides, I would like to get on the floor and give her a good comb out. I feel it would be easy to slide on to the floor from the sofa but getting up will be the problem,...

Last reply
  • Bursitis

I am 6 months post op of Left THR. I now have Bursitis in both hips. I have 1 leg 8 mm longer now and trying to find a lift that works. Anyone else with the same issue!!! I am now booked for cortisone shots next week.

Last reply
  • GROIN PAIN AFTER Total Hip Replacement- Hip Tightness after THR

IMHO this happens far more often than is recognized by the doctors and physical therapists. If you have groin pain after a THR investigate if it is your psoas muscle and Iliopsoas Tendinitis. Your physical therapist should be able to easily find your psoas muscle and push down and you will recognize...

Last reply
  • Cane

its been a month since thr, but I feel like I have to have my cane with me all the time... almost like addicted to it.  I tried walking without it a little, but it feels strange like I need it. Does anyone else feel this way, I am limping a little without it, but I am feeling dependent on it, I’m...

Last reply
  • Dynamic hip screw loosen

6 weeks after dynamic hip screw for neck femur fracture new x ray done and seen by the Doctor shows healing and instructed me partial weight bearing without instruction of how many percentage then my friend physiotherapist friend instructed me every week increase gradually to 75 percent but i dont know...

Last reply
  • Sleep or not sleep

Goodmorning I'm Andy 1.20 am Not sleeping again any help would be much appreciated I'm 43 years 12 days since THR on my right side Any tips on sleeping my back aches all the time and I just can't get comfortable Need some sleep feeling like a zombie 😮 Ive been doing all my exercises...

Last reply
  • Thigh pain after hip replacement

I'm wanting some feedback on high thigh pain after a hip replacement.  I am 68 years old (female) and am 10 weeks post op cement hip replacement due to severe arthritis.  I have been going on very well and thought all my troubles were over, but have now developed pain which seems to be...

Last reply
  • Pain when sitting

Hi everyone. I'm 13 days post op and was wondering if anyone else has had pain in their side/hip and down their leg. I had the same issues before surgery and was hoping it would be resolved. And maybe it will be, with time.

Last reply
  • Psoas Impingement after THR -research

Hi there folks I’m trying to gather some information regarding psoas impingement after hip replacements. I would be very grateful if anyone has suffered this problem could post their story. Could they tell me when the symptoms started and how long did it take to diagnose. Also how was it fixed and did...

Last reply
  • Three weeks post full hip replacement

I am just over three weeks post op and had the super path full hip replacement. I felt like I was progressing wonderfully well as managed to ditch the crutches around the house after two weeks but the last few days I can’t weight bare any more on my operated leg and limp, rocking the pelvis, very badly....

Last reply
  • DVT SUPPRESSION SOCKS

I am just over two weeks post op thr and have fortunately good mobility and really want to stop wearing suppression socks. I'm still taking blood thinning medication and regularly doing physio exercises. Do you think it would be ok to discard them now? They are so uncomfortable and hot and I feel...

Last reply
  • Seven weeks post THR

I had a right THR 7 weeks ago. I am still having groin pain and extreme pain and tightness. Hurts all the time. The surgeon has ordered an EMG and blood work. I assume the blood work is to check for infection. Has anyone else had these symptoms 

Last reply
  • Pain after complex THR

I’m 55 years old and had a complex RTHR five weeks ago. Had the left done 4 years ago and it’s great. I had hip dysplasia on both sides, so my anatomy is a bit dodgyand I’ve had 19 surgeries to my hips since I was born. My leg lengths are the same as pre-op. Operated leg about 3/4” longer than the other....

Last reply
  • Hip recovery

I had a left thr about 13 weeks now and still not able to stretch down to feet , very tight feeling, a little sore ,wondering if this improves more? Will say I have been fortunate with the hip replacement, not much pain,only when I overwork it.

Last reply
  • Can I actually do TWO surgeries?

I finally received insurance approval for THR, unfortunately i am finding out I need arthroscopic shoulder surgery as well, where I am positive they will find rotator cuff damage they will need to address. My question is have any of you had another surgery soon after a major one like tkr and what is...

Last reply
  • Not the end of the journey, but a new phase

Hi everyone.   As many of you will know, I had a traumatic time after my THR when the surgeon announced to us that ‘someone’ had put the ceramic insert in incorrectly at an angle.  Also, this was not picked up by the hospital on the post-operative X-ray.   At his insistence due to...

Last reply
  • Cream on the scar

Hi all, I finally had the all clear on removing my dressing( it had had some damp spots) . I had my 1st shower last night and it looks a little dry, am I safe to put some moisturiser on it? I am not sure if it will cause more harm than good? Many thanks, Lucy

Last reply
  • Clunking hip

Hey all. Im still plugging along....8 weeks post op now. I am hearing a "clunking" in my hip once in a while. No pain. Otherwise everything is going great. My surgeon lifted the 90° rule but no leg crossing or twisting still. Im wondering if bending forward is causing the "clunk"....

Last reply
  • Hip replacement go wrong now causing knee replacement issues

Bit of a long story .... 2.5 years ago I had bilateral hip replacement anteriorly. Two days after surgery Ortho surgeon and physio paid me a visit. Asked me to raise legs from a lying position. Left leg was a log. Right leg lifted a dream but, at the second lift I felt something slip over the new joint....

Last reply
  • Hip replacement after surgery for hip dysplasia

Hi - I am 37 years old and found out recently that I will need to have my right hip replaced.  It looks like the timeline on my previous surgery for hip dysplasia has almost run out.  Right now I'm just waiting for the pain to get intolerable, before having the surgery.  I'm not...

Last reply
  • MRI BURNS AND EF SIDE EFFECTS

i HAD A 25 MINUTE SCAN FOR THR INVESTIGATION. In the last 3 minutes I began to burn up. After I was dizzy and fwelt sick and my face hands legs etc were red and it felt like sunburn. I had to go in a cold bath at night to cool off for months. Other symptoms occurred. Dry mouth dry eyes. These are still...

Last reply
  • Severe pain 10 years post THR

Bursitis 10 years post THR. After my hip replacement the pain never actually went away. I am just able to deal with it and got used to it. But about a year or more ago the pain started getting a whole  lot worse. I'm at the point that I can barely lift my left leg no more than 2 inches without...

Last reply
  • Chronic pain after total hip replacement

I had total hip replacement last December. It had been a long and painful recovery. The surgery apparently is going well thru x rays, but I still have chronic pain in my butt causing a limp and still walking with a cane. I am almost as bad as before the surgery. The hip was bone on bone. I have...

Last reply
  • Walking and swelling at site of incision

Hi all, I am writing for your feedback please.   As of tomorrow, it will be four weeks since I had my THR.    I have been walking consistently with Nordic walking poles, and yesterday I went for a longer walk than usual.     No pain in the walking, but I may have pushed...

Last reply
  • Tingling and numbness in foot after total hip replacement

Hi, I had a thp 5 weeks ago. Immediately as I was recovering from after surgery I noticed numbness and a pins and needles feeling in my foot. It has not gone away abd I mentioned it agsin to my surgeon during a follow-up yesterday. I called him a few days after the surgery as well, at which time he said...

Last reply
  • Pain, Dynamic Hip Screw - Physio/Soft Tissue Manipulation pain

Had a dynamic hip screw op 3 weeks ago left hip after an accident when I fell and broke it. Im 48. Pain had generally been getting better, coping with just paracetamol, walking around slowly on crutches. Yesterday physio came out and did some soft tissue massage on my thigh above my knee which hurt so...

Last reply
  • overnight hip pain radiating to shin

Hi all, Thanks again to everyone who responded to my earlier post.   I thought to take the liberty to update you and to ask for your thoughts. I hope I'm not being a pain by writing again so soon.  As I have shared in an earlier post, my surgeon gave me the green light to start back...

Last reply
  • very depressed

hi-i had my rthr at the end of january,up till 3 or 4 weeks ago i thought i was coming on fairly well,starting to walk outside without crutches,feeling positive after a "one step forwards,two back two back"recovery.admittedly im just back from a weeks holiday,where i did a fair amount of walking,not...

Last reply
  • 12 weeks post op and still so sore when trying to sleep.

I had surgery March 15.  Recovering really well, back to work just intense pain when trying to sleep. Still can’t sleep on surgery side and aching always.  Walking 5k a day doing exercises fro  Physio and have now started taking pain meds again after many weeks without.   Finding...

Last reply
  • Subchondral insufficiency fracture -anyone had this?

Hi All, i had a TRHR a year ago and am having a LTHR in July. The deterioration of the left hip was pretty excelerated. It went from moderate OA to severe bone on bone in about 5 months. Maybe because it was taking the brunt of the work while I was recuperating from last year’s surgery. I kept telling...

Last reply
  • The Rules of Sleep Club (for the newbies)

The Rules of Sleep Club - (re-posted for the hundreth time)! INVALUABLE ADVICE Posted about a year ago The Rules of Sleep Club (again) for the Newbies There are many, many posts regarding sleep (of the lack of it) post-op so I thought I would share (again), my favourite post from Kate, a fellow forum...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

counter