Skip to content

Polymyalgia Rheumatica and GCA

Also known as GCA - Giant Cell Arteritis, Temporal Arteritis

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

RESEARCH: GCA & PMR. We need YOU…………….. to be one of 500.

WE ASKED PATIENTS TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS RESEARCH PROJECT: ‘YOUR EARS’ May 2017 we asked you to take part in the above research: April 2018, only 155 have taken part in this study and the target is 500. We need the 500 so we are well short of the target. Preliminary findings show that there is a...

Last reply
  • Pinned

Reducing pred: dead slow and nearly stop method

Copied from Eileen's post in another discussion. A group of us worked out reduction schemes individually that have allowed us to reduce far further than ever before but they are all basically the same - and they were based on a scheme a Swedish gentleman worked out when he simply couldn't get...

Last reply
  • Pinned

PMR-GCA website addresses and resources

If anyone has any further suggestions for inclusion do not reply to this but please contact me separately. PMR-GCA NE can be found at www.pmr-gca-northeast.org.uk PMRGCA-NW SUPPORT GROUP http://www.pmrgcasupport.co.uk/ The forums within the NE site are here - http://pmrandgca.myfunforum.org/index.php...

Last reply
  • cherry juice and pmr

i was reading an article on inflamation  and cherry juice.    how it helps  fibro,   gout , athritis, and lots more  illness    could it help  inflamation  caused  by  pmr.   i cannot recall  it ever been mentioned on the...

Last reply
  • Prednisolone cards

I'm now off prednisolone but can't remember how long I'm meant to carry the warning cards that show how and when I was weaned down off it. I think it was a year but am not sure can anyone tell me please.

Last reply
  • Painful heavy calves

Hi, I’m a 68 F and I’ve had PMR for 8 years or so, and once diagnosed functioned very well with prednisone.  Other meds were tried to get me off Pred but none worked .  I was as low as 5mg last July but then had a bad flare and was all the way back up to 30. 😔 I’m using dsns and I’m...

Last reply
  • Input appreciated on Pred reduction for diagnosis

I am looking for input to help me with a decision that I believe may be coming up. I have not been officially diagnosed yet, but I am educated and informed and believe strongly that I am dealing with PMR. I am an otherwise healthy and active 63 year old female who eats an anti-inflammatory diet that...

Last reply
  • Update on my journey with pmr

Hi all, been about 6 weeks since I last posted, at that time I was on 15mg and still had some minor morning stiffness but generally good and had started exercise swimming). Rheumatologist had suggested tapering down to 12.5 for 6 weeks and then to 10mg. After discussing with my GP and with some of you...

Last reply
  • CBD oil

Hi  I'm 52 I've had polymyalgia for 2 years  treated with prednisone  I'm currently down to a low dose 4mg Has anyone tried Daily CBD oil to treat the inflammation  polymyalgia ?  I'm having difficulty reducing lower than 4 mg, wondering if I should try CBD ...

Last reply
  • Problem with adrenals

Hi Everybody .Update on adrenal problems .Diagnosed late 2014.Using dsns method managed to taper to 3.5 with no flare .Three months ago developed what Eileen calls overwhelming fatigue and armed with all the info from this forum I asked for a synachen test .Got results today and was told my adrenals...

Last reply
  • Are we ever pain free when we have PMR

i am reducing by using the DSNS method I have got down to 7mg. When I was first diagnosed and was put on 20mg for three weeks that was the only time I can honestly say I was completely pain free. Since then I have had niggly pain on and off all the time. I do think I have quite a high pain threshold,...

Last reply
  • Pmr and bursitis vs. tendonitis

I've had pmr since 9/16 and am currently at 5 mg. pred, using the dsns method,  last year about this time I developed bursitis in my left hip which got better with physical therapy--mild exercises (very mild), ultrasound and dry needling.  I am allergic to cortisone.  Recently my hip...

Last reply
  • Iron deficiency anemia and PMR

I have discovered that I have iron deficiency anemia. My rheumatologist is the one who first discovered that I was anemic and since my blood test was so low she was concerned about internal bleeding. So I go to a GI doctor (well she's a PA) and she order a sonogram of my stomach area and they discovered...

Last reply
  • Headaches

I am having constant pressure headaches in my forhead and also makes my eyes hurt, they are terrible. My eyesight has not been affected. Also my temples on each side are not tender. Has anyone had this. I forget to say I am on 25mg of prednisone for the last week. Was on 17.5 before that but I started...

Last reply
  • I was told yesterday I have pmr

I’m so confused. After months of back a forth to dr I was told yesterday consultant thinks I have PMR.  I’ve been given prednisone 5mg x 4 every morning with food . I will then take another blood test end of month before I see consultant again to confirm .  My story is in Aug 17 I blacked out...

Last reply
  • Prolia shots

Just got back from my Doctor and he wants me to start Prolia shots for my Osteoporosis. My test show 2.5 in my back and 1.5 in my hip bones. 10% chance of a hip fracture in the next 10 years and 24% chance of a fracture in my back in the next 10 years. These test were 3 months ago and since then I have...

Last reply
  • GCA and now really painful Polymalgia

I have GCA since May 2016 and on 10mg pred but of late the last 3 weeks feeling really sore shoulders back and legs the morning the worse and mid arvo feel really exhausted have to lay down for half hour  takes ages for the body to get going.  I've not come across this till of late but...

Last reply
  • 're being taken off predisolone

Hi all Could anyone give me some advice on other medication for pmr I've had a phone call from my doc reg my blood as last time I went for blood test one of my blood showed some markers Now the doc got in touch with rheumatologist with the intention of gett me off predisolone with being on it...

Last reply
  • Any advice please on occupational health assessments in the UK

i was diagnosed with PMR 5 weeks ago after two months of severe neck,shoulder and upper arm pains. I haven’t been able to do my part time role as a fitness instructor for the last three months or more. My employer now wishes I attend an OH assessment. This week I’ve started to have a nasty hip and knee...

Last reply
  • PMR & Myofascial pain syndrome

Many (4) years ago, Eileen put together a lot of valuable information regarding Myofascial pain syndrome (MPS) and many seemed to consider the fact that if the pains they were suffering through were not uniformly across the body, i.e. down one side or in a leg, etc. - then it may not be PMR. Well...

Last reply
  • PARTNERS !!!!!!**

Just had to share. Husband of 40 years just bought me 2 new presents - a new sander and an industrial vacumm cleaner so I can repaint the house ! I was contemplating buying a walking stick next. I must look health 

Last reply
  • Has anyone just tried to bear the Polymyalgia pain?

I've been using the slow method to go from 20 to 19mg the past few weeks and yesterday I was in so much pain in my legs I could not sleep.  In my legs and buttocks and my shoulders and arms, pressing pain that never let up.  Finally, as always, I was desperate, and I took an extra 5mg. ...

Last reply
  • PMR and FIBROMYALGIA - do you have both ?

I got Fibro pain 22 years ago. This was fairly consistent for 18 years then  4 years ago I knew my health was deteriorating again and next minute PMR pain hit me. Pred helped within 24 hours.For the last few months my health has started deteriorating again with lots of new weird and not so wonderful...

Last reply
  • Lifespan of prednisone

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long prednisone stays in the body. And how long does it take for all of it to leave a body.

Last reply
  • Effect of Prednisolone on abrasions and bruises

After six months on prednisolone, currently 12 mg daily, I am finally beginning to notice some side effects.  Playing plenty of tennis and badminton and running in the bush, damage to the skin of one sort or another is inevitable.  In the past, the damage was unremarkable and healing was swift. ...

Last reply
  • REALLY STRUGGLING

Hi Every one, I posted on here the other day, as the last week 10 days I seem to have taking a really bad turn, I have been diagnosed with PMR and put on steroids I also have Fibromyalgia, and unsure if I should put this in that post. I have not slept for three nights with the intense pain all over,...

Last reply
  • PMR and Excersize - Experiment in Progress

Hi Everyone! In search for information about PMR I have come acress this site with lots of information and links.  I have learne a lot and in return I would like to contribute about the topic of PMR and excersize.... Background: I am 66 years old and have suffered first attack in mid November 2015......

Last reply
  • Flair up

Hello everyone  Looking for expertise of you all. Was down to 1mg of prednisone and trying to taper off. Must have been too fast or stress of life but had a flair up. Of course I thought it was hurting myself in Pilates. Suffered shoulder and neck pain plus a dull headache but only on my right side...

Last reply
  • Hydroxychloroquine Vs Pedinzone

I have been on Predinzone for many years.  It have many bad side effects that you probable would not know if never tested for them. I took 5 mg for years but could never get below 5 mg without PMR coming Back. about 3 months ago, my new doctor asked me why I was takiing Perdnizone, and i said...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

counter