Skip to content
in this discussion +7 following
shannon66434 shannon66434

My boyfriend has very very high blood pressure... doctors are perplexed

If anyone is experiencing STAGE 3. Hypertension / crisis mode please give me some advice. My boyfriends blood pressure was 246/ 145 ... the doctors say he should be dead but he has been experiencing this for a long time. What can he do ? He takes meds. He has been in and out of hospitals. I want to help him but i dont know how anymore. Is there a place he can go ? He has seen specialists. Any advice. He is 53 years young. And in decent shape. 

6 Replies

  • mrsmop mrsmop shannon66434

    Hello Shannon, first of all, perhaps you might get more replies if you post in Hypertension instead.

    I thought my blood pressure was bad enough the other day,  it went to 230/120.  I saw various doctors & have now had Amlodipine added to the Bisoprolol & Bendroflumethiazide that I was already taking.

    I had an Echocardiogram done a week before this episode but thus far, no on can find the result!  My ECGs were apparently ok.

    Who has your boyfriend actually seen about this?  He obviously needs to see a different specialist.

    What meds does he take?

    • Peonygirl1 Peonygirl1 shannon66434

      Some meds will elevate blood pressure. Cymbalta elevated mine and 

      I had to take blood pressure meds that controlled it.  Wish I could offer more I do send my best wishes. Food allergies? Keep track of all intake of food, drinks, meds. Gosh, what a struggle!! 

      • mollymoos mollymoos shannon66434

        I have my own BP Machine and yes.. I have had levels as high as you stated.  Was 235/100 at surgery, but on coming home 30 mins later and using my own machine - it stated 165/80 - some machines cant read properly lol.. I always use a wrist one(Amazon) and never had a problem with it.  If you guy has a Headache(continuous) sweating, pain of some sorts in the chest area, feeling sick or dizzy - then I would seek medical treatment.  A Headache is my biggest sign that BP is going sky high. blessingsxx

        • Enwawin Enwawin mollymoos

          That's right.

          Sometimes, doctors make people to worry by giving big advice too.

          What I recommend is, "We need to forgot our health/business issues and give rest to our mind and body".

          And then take medicine.

      • lisa24871 lisa24871 shannon66434

        I think he should see an endocrinologist as many things affect blood pressure, thyroid, pituary gland , adrenaline gland. They need to rule out a pheocromocytoma, which I had when my blood pressure went bananas . It’s rare but , who knows. Also is he anxious about anything? Overweight or drinking heavily? You have to be honest about it all. Does he suffer with palpitations? Keep a diary and of his blood pressure. Insist you are referred to a specialist endocrinologist. I go to the one at Churchill hospital, Oxford. There are many over the country including Birmingham , where my favourite specialist went , good luck

        Report as inappropriate

        Thanks for your help!

        We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.